Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report

4 posters

Go down

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report Empty Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report

Post by Nielsio Thu May 21, 2009 12:26 am

Photos and description of my trip to Taiwan and Hong Kong last November/December.

The pictures below are resized by Picasa and compressed. To view originals (up to 1200px wide) go here. Use either the '+' sign to magnify or use 'Slideshow' view (easiest).

Taiwan

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0005
1. View outside of my friend's apartment in Taipei, the capital of Taiwan. He lives on the 12th (IIRC) floor, has a nice size apartment with a spaceous livingroom, two bedrooms, a kitchen, and two small balconies, and pays around 275 euros/month. The building also has private security, and he speaks with one of the guards daily to learn Chinese.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0019
2. Lots of bikes. Common mode of transporation. The city has an excellent metro system.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0049
3. Typical streetview. Midsized apartment complexes with small business at ground floor and street vendors in front of it.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0059
4. Park, with library on the left.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0099
5. Taipei 101. World't tallest completed skyscraper.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0113
6. Inside Taipei 101, a few floors up. Luxury shops, etc.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0119
7. View from the top of Taipei 101. This is behind glasses, we couldn't go to the outside view because it was closed. So the air isn't as dirty as it might appear, as the glass was rather dirty. You can see the highway going through the city.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0122
8. Taipei is very squared in it's layout.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report Untitled-1
9. Notice anything odd? The Swastika was actually based on a Buddhist symbol, which Hitler inverted. But we asked some shop lady about it, who was selling Nazi flags, and she knew it was from the Nazis/Hitler. I guess these people don't know the history very well, similar to people in the West walking around with Che Guevara t-shirts and bags, even though the guy was a totalitarian and a murderer.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0328
10. Subway picture. It's not always this busy, often it's not, but during rush hour it certainly is.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0332
11. The particular foodshop is famous in the whole country. People are lining up for it all day. It has vanilla filling or meat (IIRC). After I shot this he pointed at the no-pictures signs. Whoops.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0371
12. A common passtime for high school kids is to do group dancing. There are a couple of places where they do it. This is in a subway station that has a lot of space for it. They get together and practise their moves with their mp3 players on the ground. I didn't really get a good picture of them dancing but you get the idea.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0392
13. People going into the trainstation (on the right).

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0415

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0432
15. This is a shopping district.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0527
16. Nightmarket. Lots of them in Taipei.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0541
17. It's often a family business. The small business people are the nicest and most relaxed.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0567
18. Good citizens create a happy atmosphere on the Taipei Metro. Wink . Taiwan is quite traditional in the way people act. You won't see any public affection or people making a ruckus.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0595
19. High speed train we took to the south of the island.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0606

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0625
21. South of the island is quite touristy in the summer. I was there in December. Temperature was very moderate then.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0634

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0655_small
23. These guys were in national service and weren't allowed a camera, so they asked us to take one of them and email it. They seemed like a nice group.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0665

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC00397
25. The library from the earlier park picture. Lots of high school kids in there all the time. They have to learn endless amounts of mindless facts, and the schoolsystem is really devastating for them.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC00398
26. Two minutes before I took this picture this guy next to me was sleeping. Very standard for these kids to sleep some, study some, rinse, repeat.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC00399
27. Outside of the library. Older people doing some movements/exercises. You see that a bunch in suitable places. On the backside of the library there was usually a group of eight persons with an instructor guy teaching them ballroom dancing. Without music!

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0683
28. Same shopping district as earlier. Open till late everyday. No oppressive business hours regulations like here in Europe.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0690
29. Computer center.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0087
30. Taken from the top of my friend's apartment building.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0089

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0091
32. You can see the park and library.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0184
33. Building in honor of the 'founder' of the country. I believe the guy was the emperor of China and fled because of Mao's revolution. China is viewed by the Taiwanese Chinese as an oppresive country.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0250

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0292
35. Luxury street. The shops on the ground floor are expensive chains and such.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0298

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0310

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0378
38. This picture belongs to the earlier dancing group as it's in the underground mall section. Again, kids doing their thing in very pleasant an non-disturbing way.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0418

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0423
40. Inside the computer center. The stores are generally per brand. Seems like a geek's parasides but still I couldn't find the particular higher end stuff I was looking for. But I searched for and just like in Europe you can just buy that stuff online.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0425

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0435
42. People with bikes have a mouth cap very often. Some have special designs but others have plain white.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0436

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0440
44. Street on the right, small business on the left, sidewalk inbetween that is generally owned by the small business.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0441

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0452

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0465
47. They drink ice coffee, ice tea and also a milky drink with bits of gooey bits in it that you chew on (the straws are very wide so it can go through). I didn't like that.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0468

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0483
49. Typical street vendor. Delicious fresh juice. A little pricey though. Street food is generally very cheap (but good tasting and healthy).

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0487

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0492

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0495
52. 7-Eleven's are everywhere. They have a deal with a certain bank (they all have an ATM machine inside, that I would recommend using) and also with the government (people pay for some service there, I forget what).

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0500
53. Street vendors use electricity for their light and tools from the adjacent building. They also pay those owners a fee, not as rent but so that they don't call the city to get them removed. That's just how it works there.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0507

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0515

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0518

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0531

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0537

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0539

59b. Books we came across in an upscale bookstore.
Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report Bookstoreintaiwanel4

Last edited by Nielsio on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nielsio
Nielsio
Admin

http://www.vforvoluntary.com/

Back to top Go down

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report Empty Re: Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report

Post by Nielsio Fri May 22, 2009 10:24 pm

Hong Kong

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0005
60. Now we're in Hong Kong where I went for a few days and stayed at a 150eur/day Hotel to get a good taste of an ecomonically free and thriving country/city.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0014
61. I didn't mention this before but Taiwan is really off the route for Western tourists and you will generally not see any Westerners on the street whatsoever. And people notice you and you're special, particularly if you're 6ft4 and Dutch like me. Also, people essentially do not speak English in Taiwan. Even the school kids who have to learn a lot of English don't learn to actually speak it. Hong Kong is like another world that way. Everybody can speak English and being a Westerner is mundane.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0017
62. High rising shopping malls. Typical in Hong Kong.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0022
63. Christmas sale of ladies bags, and all the girl going nuts over it. Hong Kong is more glitter and glamour and I didn't really like it.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0027
64. Street market.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0031
65. Fish market was at the end with a lot of live fish.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0035
66. Same spot but looking up. High rise apartment complexes. Typical in Hong Kong.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0037

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0039
68. The big blue glass building is the same as before. The shopping mall goes up to the 14th floor roughly, then upwards from there it's expensive offices, and one restaurent high up.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0042
69. As I said, Taipei is very squared and flat, so easy to navigate. Hong Kong is a whole different story, roads going over, under, crazy bends. It's easy to see how this system came about very differently throughout the years. Took me a little while to figure out how to get certain places on foot/public transport. Metro system is very similar to Taipei btw; except for the layout. In Taipei it's like a star, in Hong Kong it's arching.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0049
70. They use bamboo during construction.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0052
71. High rise and very thin sometimes (notice on the left).

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0058
72. Massive apartment complexes. (bamboo on the left again)

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0088

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0102
74. This is the harbor on the West side. Lots of economic activity.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0107

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0125

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0130

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0152

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0171
79. Temple somewhere in the city, that was very touristy. I didn't really like it. The people didn't seem to get the mythology they were dealing with. They tend to pray to Buddhist imagery, which doesn't make any sense. The Buddha is not a god.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0199
80. Packed subway at the end of the afternoon as I was traveling to the very east side.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0222
81. Small business. Import/export/local sale of special fish (for restaurants). I randomly came across this place in the harbor. Very friendly guy.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0246
82. The view 10 meters outside of the last picture. The left are apartment complexes. This is not the famous picture point of Hong Kong. This is.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0251
83. Che Guevara and Mao pictures. Totalitarianism is cool.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0260
84. In this picture you can spot a kindergarten, a French restaurant, an international travel agency, a snack bar and another restaurant.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0270
85. Now we are on Hong Kong island. Richer and also contains the financial district.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0278

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0314
87. The view from Victoria Peak, which is reached with the Peak tram. You see the West harbor, as seen on previous pictures.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0287

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0298

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0371

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0430

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0441
92. Back from the peak and now walking through the financial district.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0442

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0446

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0447
95. It has a weird feeling to it because it's the banks that have the most expensive and most modern buildings, while they also contain a bunch of hot air via central banking schemes.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0448

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0449
97. Lippo Group/Bank Lippo is Indonesian.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0470

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0480

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0491

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0495

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0497

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0505
103. They're playing a Chinese chess variant, that we also saw in Taiwan.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0521
104. People waiting in line to enter Louis Vuitton. They don't allow more than X people in at a time. It's Christmas time though. On the right you see a cop writing a ticket.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0551
105. Chi Lin nunnery. Rebuilt in 1990 following traditional Chinese architecture.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0560
106. It was a bit over the top nice, with a lot of gardeners and also some security people. Not really like a Thai monastery for example.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0573
107. It looked really neat though.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0582
108. This is the most inner part.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0586
109. Photographs of the statues wasn't allowed but I managed this from a distance. You can see the nuns polishing fruit and stacking it. There were notes on either side of the statues explaining the meaning of the symbology. The statues were really impressive and worked as they were supposed to. But then you are reminded that it's twisted because the notes also say that so and so is the god of fortune (and you see people bowing to it and asking for good fortune), and on the left of these statues was a room that said 'prayer room'. I thought buddhists meditated, not pray..

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0611
110. Lotus flowers. Traditional in Buddhism.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0622
111. It was a very nice place to spend my last afternoon there before I went to eat something and went back on the plane to Taiwan.

Taiwan, Hong Kong trip report DSC_0692
112. Shuttle train that takes you from the city to the airport, which lies on a seperate island West of Hong Kong.
Nielsio
Nielsio
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cowbot Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:36 pm

Thanks for the photojournal! I loved the observations - the little weird things that make cultures different. Some photographic talent there... too..

cowbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Hikikomori Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:11 pm

Nice pictures. The drink with the chewy stuff and big straw is called Boba.

Hikikomori

Back to top Go down

Post by Nielsio Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:08 am

Thanks Hikikomori,

Where you are from?
Nielsio
Nielsio
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hikikomori Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:48 am

Nielsio wrote:Thanks Hikikomori,

Where you are from?

Los Angeles, it's an alright place I guess, lots of bad, lots of good.

Hikikomori

Back to top Go down

Post by greves1 Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:43 pm

It was really nice to look through those pictures again, it made me remember a lot of nice things. Hope you visit again soon!

greves1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down