Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Private, voluntary Fractional Reserve System

Go down

Private, voluntary Fractional Reserve System Empty Private, voluntary Fractional Reserve System

Post by FireUp Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:01 pm

Let's say I deposit 1000 grams of gold into a 90% reserve bank for safekeeping purposes. This is a special kind of bank that only takes deposits and loans out money. It doesn't have cheques nor inter-account transfers nor bank notes representing the gold in the deposit accounts.

They lend out up to 100 grams of physical gold for 20% interest per year. This will cover the maintenance fees for my deposit and it will also pay me 1% yearly interest on my total deposit (10% on the loanable portion).

If I want to use any of the gold I have deposited to pay for something, I have to go to the bank and withdraw the physical gold. As long as there's reserves in the bank, they will give me any amount of gold that I wish to withdraw from my account. If 90% or more of the gold from deposit accounts is withdrawn at any point, the bank will obviously have run out of gold, and then a number of things could be done depending on a previously agreed upon contract.

I thought of 2 basic things that can happen:

1) The customer will have to wait up to a year until the loans come back and the bank is able to pay them back, possibly with an added premium for the trouble.

In this circumstance the depositor is taking a risk in the sense that they may have to wait up to a whole year without being able to access their gold, in the case that there is a bank run.

And if they were willing to take that risk, then why didn't they just loan the money out for full interest? I know I would.

But some people like the idea of being almost sure that they'll have their money for whatever they wish to spend it on, get a small interest on the side, and take the risk of having the money frozen for up to a year.

2) The bank will take loans from other banks, quite possibly having to pay more than 20% yearly interest rates, to pay back the depositors in real time.

If the bank is making 5% profit a year on all the money that they loan out, and it costs them 25% to borrow it in case there's a bank run, then as long as they can expect a bank run to occur less than once every 5 years, they'll be making a profit. And because every deposit is guaranteed, there is little incentive for a bank run.

You could also have some combination of the two systems. Like for example, the bank could guarantee to pay back 50% of the gold once reserves have been drained and make the depositors wait for the other 50%. You could also have insurance to cover the deposits.

Can you find a reason why this system would be inflationary, fraudulent, or otherwise redistribute wealth in a way that is not intended by the parts involved?
FireUp
FireUp

Back to top Go down